Saturday, December 11, 2010

Particle or wave, object or path of object

Quantum Mechanics — a particle is a solid thing at any given single moment of time; a wave is a process that happens over time. They’re two different sorts of things. The difference between them is the difference between a point and a path. To say something is either a particle or a wave, depending on how you look at it, is like saying that I am either standing still or I’m running around the room. You’re either looking at me, or you’re looking at the path I’m following in running around the room. The first is a solid object at one moment, or multiple moments, of time, while the second is merely an abstract thing that only exists across multiple moments, as a mental construct assembled from a real solid object in motion. So the particle wave distinction in quantum mechanics is really a distinction between the time taken to measure the particle and the particle itself. Wait long enough, and it will become a wave; but if the smaller your measurement’s temporal interval is, the wave will become more particle-like, as you narrow down its location. The supposed paradox of the particle/wave duality of matter is really no paradox, as there is really no duality. To say that there is a duality here is like saying that, when I am standing still at precisely ten o’clock, I am an entirely different thing than I would be if you were to consider me running around the room between ten o’clock and five after ten. In the latter case you are considering the path of my motion, but the path is not me. Examining the path would tell you nothing about me other than the state of my motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment