Friday, December 3, 2010

Post 3

If relativity fits observation and data, but the reasons it uses to explain those observations and data go against common sense and experience, then we should try to come up with new reasons. For example, if I find a million dollars on my doorstep when I open my door one morning, with no idea of how it got there, I could explain it by saying a magical fairy left it there. It would certainly fit the data and observation then available to me, and I might be able to use my magical fairy to explain other occurrences. But such an explanation is obviously absurd. So I would search for another, more reasonable explanation. We can use the belief that the universe rotates around the earth to explain observations and make predictions. But we know better. Even if we didn’t, the theory would still be useable and workable. The point is, even absurd theories can explain and predict. But just because they do doesn’t mean we should accept them as they are and give up searching for the truth. 

3 comments:

  1. Hang on.....I thought you were a geocentrist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Strangelove,

    Thanks for all the comments. I don't actually consider myself a geocentrist. I'm geocentric friendly. I wouldn't be embarrassed to admit I was a geocentrist, but I still think the definitive evidence hasn't yet been presented that will allow us to choose between either geocentric or heliocentric viewpoints. I will fight for the geocentrist viewpoint all the way, though, because I am disgusted by the way everyone, both scientist and non-scientist alike, ridicules anyone who dares to give geocentrism even the slightest bit of consideration. But I do hope that geocentrist position wins, in the end. And I suspect that it will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I, like Luther....will simply go to the absolute reference frame for truth in order to decide.

    "There was mention of a certain astrologer [copernicus] who wanted to prove that the earth moves and not the sky, the sun, and the moon. This would be as if somebody were riding on a cart or in a ship and imagined that he was standing still while the earth and the trees were moving. So it goes now. Whoever wants to be clever must agree with nothing that others esteem. He must do something of his own. This is what that fellow does who wishes to turn the whole of astronomy upside down. Even in these things that are thrown into disorder I believe the Holy Scriptures, for Joshua commanded the sun to stand still and not the earth [Jos. 10:12].”

    - –Martin Luther (attributed), as quoted in Daniel Boorstin, The Discoverers (1983), p. 302

    Relativity's job was to eliminate any and all absolute reference frames both scientific AND moral from the minds of men. This concept is so clear to me now, and the most fervent supporters of this nutty science on Christian forums are frequently self admitted pagans (often Wiccans) with extemely loose moral fibre.

    Personally I have all the evidence I need.

    A spinning atmosphere makes zero sense.
    The interferometer results prove the aether and a stationary Earth.
    Airy's failure prove its the stars moving not the Earth.
    Relativity has been totally exposed as a tool to reverse these real scientific evidences.

    Thanks for all your work Scott.

    Doc.

    ReplyDelete