Sunday, June 12, 2011

The best theory we've got?

Just because I can’t as yet offer a viable alternative to relativity doesn’t mean that I have to accept relativity. “It’s not perfect, but it’s the best theory we’ve got,” is usually the rote response given to anyone who points out the shortcomings of relativity. But just because we haven’t got anything better doesn’t mean one has to accept a theory one believes to be fatally flawed. If there was only one woman left on Earth, and she was hideously, grotesquely repulsive, I wouldn’t throw a bag over her head and pretend she was a gorgeous angel. I would still know the truth. Relativity is utterly flawed, and I don’t care how much experimental data supports it, I firmly believe there are other explanations for that data. The same data must also support another, correct theory, even though I have no idea what that theory is. But I do know what that theory is not: relativity. Call me a crackpot and a fool if you will, a brainless idiot who refuses to accept physical fact, but I have no doubt time will bear me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment