Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Open-Minded about Geocentrism

In all my posts on geocentricity, I am not saying that I utterly reject the standard view of a non-Earth-centered universe. All I am saying is that I am open to both views. I think the verdict has yet to come in on which is the correct view.

To anyone in the modern world, even to me when I first encountered it, the notion of an Earth-centered universe seems completely ludicrous. But that’s because we’ve been taught that it’s a ludicrous notion. When you really start looking into it, you’ll find that it’s really not so cut-and-dried that the universe is not centered upon the Earth.

All I mean to say is: keep an open mind. Look at the arguments and evidence on both sides with a truly objective view, a view unclouded by preconceived beliefs that the geocentric view is completely insane and anyone who would believe it is a wacko.

I suspect if you ask the vast majority of people in the world how they know that the Earth orbits the sun, they’ll say, “Because everyone says it is, and the scientists tell me it is.”

That’s the equivalent of accepting the “Because I said so” answer. Just because someone says so doesn’t make it true. Look into it on your own. Never accept “Because I said so” as an answer.

How many scientists have actually questioned the most basic assumptions that have been handed down from the days of Galileo and Newton and more recently? How many scientists have actually looked at the foundations of science, rather than just accepting those foundations as given and moving on from there?

Sure, you learn the foundations in textbooks. But no one questions. When you’re a student, the textbooks simply say, “This is how it is.” You learn the textbooks without questioning, and you move on, acquiring further knowledge built upon those unquestioned, unexamined foundations.

I really don’t care whether the universe is centered on the Earth or not. Whether it is or isn’t changes absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

However, I don’t have the same view about relativity. I think it would be cool if relativity were true. Time dilation, black holes — I like science fiction, and that’s the stuff of science fiction. But as much as I think relativity would be cool if true, I've looked at the evidence, I've read the books, and I think it’s complete nonsense. I could be wrong, but I doubt it, and I think time will bear me out.

So: I’m on the fence regarding Geocentrism, but I’m completely off the fence regarding relativity. Relativity will not survive in its present form, if it survives at all. I think one day people will look back on Einstein and relativity as the greatest inhibitors of scientific progress in the history of mankind.

And when that happens, all the scientists are going to say, “Well, I suspected he was wrong all along. I had my doubts.” Yeah. Sure you did.

1 comment:

  1. More info on our geocentric universe here:

    http://christian-wilderness.forumvi.com/t39-stationary-earth

    ReplyDelete