Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Nobel Prize actually awarded for non-discovery

Given that the Nobel Prize has been awarded for the discovery of the Higgs boson, I want to be one of the lone voices of reason and point out that NO ONE is saying that the Higgs boson has been discovered. Even CERN will only say that the evidence "strongly indicates that it is a Higgs boson."

So why is the Nobel Prize being awarded for a non-discovery?

Actually, to be honest, I guess the Prize was awarded merely for the theory that predicts the Higgs boson. But still, in the announcement, the Prize committee says that the theory "...recently was confirmed through the discovery of the predicted particle..."

Wrong!

I hereby predict that in due course it will be reported that the evidence has turned against the recently discovered particle being the Higgs boson.

So what have I got against the Higgs boson? Absolutely nothing. I just refuse to go along with the propaganda that the Higgs boson has been discovered when no one will come out and say that whatever they found is definitely the Higgs boson. Whatever happened to scientific integrity and honesty?

"Virtually certain" is not certain. If I'm virtually certain that a particular girl will go out with me Friday night, I'm not going to make reservations for dinner until I actually get a "Yes."

I also like how CERN, high on the success of the Higgs "discovery," is now going to turn its attention to Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Good luck with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment